I wanted to make a simple eggless chochlate cake from such a long time. Though I had posted a eggless recipe using tofu before, I was not completly satisfied and I was not so fond of tofu. So I was finding a way to make eggless cake and ice creams. What I was exactly searching for was for the rising agent in the eggless cakes, coz most of the eggless cake recipes I came across did not have a rising agent, I had tried some and it was so dense and did not rise at all. I then came across this particular site and several others too which had good information, I made the cake as per the recipe and made a few changes (like adding lemon extract), and I made it in a single cake pan coz I didnt have two ...and it tasted great and looked great too. I added a nice frosting too and overall cake got a good review among my close relations who got to taste it. The rising agent was the chemical reaction between the baking soda and buttermilk. I also substituted the applesauce mentioned in the recipe with the lemon extract. Though I think it was not necessary as the buttermilk itself is sufficient for the cake to rise. The cake is quiet dry though, but adding the frosting and applesauce helps to add moisture. So here is the recipe:
- 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk or soured milk
- 3 tbsp applesauce (optional . helps adding extra moisturiser to the cake due to the absence of the egg)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Sift the dry ingredients
- Mix together the wet ingredients
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients slowly, stirring and combining well to avoid lumps. I use a wooden spoon to combine.
- Transfer contents to a well greased pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Do not open the oven door in between as it may affect the cake to stop rising.
- Wait for 5 minutes after switching off the oven before transfering it to cool outside the oven
- When it is cooled tranfer it to a refrigerator until cake is completly cooled before adding the frosting
Combine all ingredients on medium heat and stir until the mixture becomes the consistensy of very gooey and quiet thick.