Hello dear readers !
Finally I got time to sit and post treats from my brand new kitchen :) Well I am so excited now, just to share my excitement I am now listening to our desi version of "Rigga digga song" while I am typing all this :)
We have finally settled in our new place. Though its in the same complex as our old place, it still feels different to be in a different building. I still haven't got adjusted to the alignment in this building , and I just laugh quietly by myself feeling embarrassed when I walk towards my old apartment by mistake :D Luckily I didn't try pushing my new keys into my old apartment which is now occupied ! :DD
Coming back to the Green Split-Peas stew , this was the first time I purchased this variety of lentils. I made this stew with soaked black beans and partly mashed potatoes for a thick gravy for the stew. It was both nutritious and tasty.
This is my entry for the "Click event - Beans 'n Lentils" hosted at Jugalbandi
Here goes the recipe:
Green Split Peas: 1 cup
Black beans (soaked overnight) : 1/2 cup
Partly mashed potatoes: 2 medium potatoes
Onion: 1 medium
Water: Just enough to cook the Black beans and Green Split Peas
Coriander powder: 1/2 teaspoon
Chilly powder: 1 teaspoon
Salt: as per taste
Oil: 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds: 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
Coriander leaves: a few leaves
How to make:
1. Cook the Green-Split peas and Black beans together with just enough water to cook.
2. Mash the above beans a little after cooking and keep it aside.
3. Slice the onions and saute them in a deep pan, in a little oil until they turn light brown.
4. Add the cooked beans, salt, and the rest of the seasonings, stir well at high heat until the flavors of the seasonings mix up well.
5. Lower the fire to medium-high, add the mashed potatoes and a little water (maybe 1/2 cup). Mix it well with the rest of the mixture in the pan. Let it simmer for 30-seconds. check for salt, if needed add more.
6. Add the tampering and garnish with coriander leaves.
7.Serve it along with rice, roti.