Monday, August 13, 2007

Lemon Glazed Cake





I love the name of this cake, dont know why, maybe mainly because of the words "Lemon Glazed" which has always made me wondering how these would taste. And let me tell you they taste really yummy (that is if you like the taste of the lemon mixed with cake feeling). My husband was hogging at these whenever he could get his hands on the fridge:) ....I actually got inspiration to make these from Maria's blog . However, I followed a different recipe as I did not have the lemon rind mentioned in her blog. But whatsoever, I keep visiting her site just to look at her version of this cake:) . The recipe I followed was from Ina Gartens book "The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook" . It came out perfectly good:)

Ingredients:

1/2 pound unsalted butter at room temperature
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 extra-large eggs at room temperature
1/3 cup lemon extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt (I used just plain salt)
3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (I used lemon extract)
3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the glaze
2 cups confectioners' sugar (I just powdered the granulated sugar I had)
3 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (I used same amount of oranje juice I had as I ran out of lemon extract. This infact gave a very nice touch to the flavor of the cake)

Method:


  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).

  2. Cream the butter and 2 cups granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (I did not use this, I mixed it with hands), for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time, and the 1/3 cup lemon extract.

  3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour. Pour the batter evenly on a greased baking pan, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.

  4. Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves and makes a syrup. When the cake is done, let cool for 10 minutes, using a fork prick all over the cake (this is for preparing the cake to absorb all of the glaze going to be poured over the cake) then invert onto a rack set over a tray, and spoon the lemon syrup over the cakes. Allow the cakes to cool completely.

  5. For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a wire whisk until smooth. Pour over the top of the cakes and allow the glaze to drizzle down the sides.

No comments:

Please do not copy

All contents in this blog cannot be copied without written permission from the blog author.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
baby