Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Pollay- Pitto (Dosa/Idli podi)

The Idli/Dosa podi is something very popular in pantry of almost every South Indian. "Pollay-Pitto" ("Pitto" means powder in konkani. "Polo" means Dosa) is what we call it in konkani in our home. Once made it lasts for months. And it comes in so handy during one of those days when you are too lazy to make any side dish or gravy to go along with Dosa/Idli. My mom usually packed Idli/Dosa with coconut chutney for my lunch at school. But sometimes, I used to have Polley Pitto too :) I like it spicy :) It was recently that I made it the first time at home and its really easy. I made some variations after some tricks I learned from my Fil. He adds garlic cloves while roasting the other ingredients. Here is how I made it:

Ingredients:

Urad dal (without skin): 1/2 cup
Channa dal: 1/4 cup
Dry Red Chilli : 10 nos (you may increase or decrease according to your taste)
Asafoetida (Hing) : 1/2 teaspoon
Tamarind : a very small ball (size of a dime)
Garlic clove: 1 clove cut in half
Salt: as per taste

Method:

Dry roast Urad dal, and Channa Dal until they are slightly brown on medium-high flame. Then add the Red -Chillies, Asafoetida, Tamarind, and Garlic clove. Increase the flame a little more than medium-high. Keep stirring continuously , taking care to see that the Urad and Channa dals don't burn. (It would be a good idea to switch on your vent-fan to high as the red -chilli can cause you to start sneezing when it starts giving out its heat). Reduce the flame to medium low and stir until garlic and tamarind have lost most of their moisture content. Switch off the flame. Let the powder cool. Powder it in your spice grinder or Indian Mixie to a very fine powder. In a warm dry pan (you may use the same pan in which you roasted the ingredients), add salt as per your taste, just stir it so that it becomes a bit warm (maybe 10 seconds). Add it to the powder. Mix well. Store this in a dry airtight container. It lasts for several months together. To serve it with Idli/Dosa, take 1 tablespoon powder and make a small well inside it and add 1/2 teaspoon oil. mix it well to coat every bit of the powder. Just be careful not to accidentally inhale this powder as its very spicy. I am telling this from my own experience :-))


It makes me feel joyous if I can inspire another person. My friend/cousin , Ranji of "Ranji's Kitchen Corner" passed me the "Inspirational Award". Thank you so much Ranji :) You inspire me too :) Hugs :)

Jamie of the Flavour Pantry. started this wonderful award with a very nice image, I loved the design in the coffee cup :) ...According to Jamie,

“This is given to bloggers whose stories and recipes inspire us. Whether it’s to eat healthier, dive back into our past to conjure up something we ate as children, or just make the light bulbs in our brains go on with a new idea for a recipe. As recipients of this award, please share with us what inspires you and then pass on the Inspiration Award to 4 other deserving bloggers. Please let them know what the award means and what to do with it.”

I am passing it to:

Ramya of ManeAdige
Kamala of Mom's recipes
Cynthia of Tastes Like Home
Sukanya Ramkumar of My Cakes and Cookies


What inspires me most?

a) My husband Vijay who willingly eats whatever I make :) .....He takes curd if the dish becomes too spicy, but even then, he manages to finish the dish somehow ! Love you V for your patience and cheerfulness:)

b) The thought of all utensils and ingredients I have in my pantry when I want to bake/roast something for which I needn't go to the market to purchase something more.

c) My mom's cookbooks(recipes she jotted down from TV shows,magazines,news paper clippings etc..), Food Network, Top Chef, Law and Order (SVU,CI) (Yes that's mine and V's most favorite show on TV, "Mariska Hargitay" being our favorite actress in it :), we are so fond of it that we have scheduled its recording on our DVR in case we miss any episode ;-)

d)All those wonderful food blogs and food websites that just makes me think"Wow!! How creative !!"

e) The almighty for being so generous





I also got the "Nice Matters" award from my dear friend , JZ of Tasty Treats
Thank you so much JZ :) !!

24 comments:

Cham said...

Congrats on your awards. Love the twist in millagai podi with garlic.

Usha said...

Congrats on your awards,we make this same podi only without the garlic and the tamarind !

Trupti said...

Hey Roopa, Congrats on your awards. Thanks for this podi recipe. Very easy to make & tasty.

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

Congratulations on your award!!! and thanks so much for passing it on to me.... I'm flattered! Love the mild color of the pudi!!

kamala said...

Congrats on ur award Roopa and Thanks for passing to me.It's a great pleasure to receive from u.Idli podi looks Great!!!

Sum Raj said...

hey roopa.. congrates on ur awards...if polle pitto is there then it would be more enough for us to have with idli and polo...no need to think wht to make 4 the side...i also do add garlic and peppercorns specially...urs has comeout too smooth grinded mixture..

Devi Priya said...

Congrats on your awards. Idli podi looks yummy, I am sure must have tasted yummy too!

Meera said...

Looks so delicious. Congrats on your awards.

ranji said...

i always had stocks of this pitto which amma sent me..so never had to make at home:)...ur recipe sounds wonderful..witha nice twist of garlic..i should actually call u the garlic queen coz u love it soooooooo much:))..good going roops..congrats on ur awards too..

Andhra Flavors said...

Love the twist in millagai podi with garlic.

FH said...

I love te word Pitto, sounds good. Pudi with idli, yummy!:)

Finla said...

Congrats with the awards.

ST said...

Hey Roopa,Visiting ur blog first time .U have nice and lovely blog. Congrats on your awards. Thanks for sharing this podi recipe. Very easy to make & tasty.I make also make the same but without garlic.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on ur awards! The twist of adding garlic to the podi is new to me :)

@the_whisk_affair said...

dosa podi is my favourite too, i could eat it just as is....congrats on ur awards, and enjoy girl! HUGS!!

Sagari said...

very tempting pics roopa

Jamie said...

Roopa, Congratulations on your awards! I am a big fan of dosa, but I have never tried to make it from scratch before. I just always bought the pre-made stuff. I guess we learn something different everyday! Thanks!

Suganya said...

Hi Roopa:
This is a very staple recipe in my house. But never tried adding tamarind to idly podi. YUM! congrats on ur award.... Thank u for passing it to me....

Uma said...

dosa/idli podi sounds so delicious, Roopa! BTW I couldn't see any of the pictures,just a red screen in the place of the pics. check it out. congrats on the awards.

Vani said...

Can't see the pictured for some reason. Pudi sounds wonderful! And congrats on the awards, Roopa! :)

Swati Raman Garg said...

mallagai podi with garlic... i love it... iam also a garlic fanatic... and congrats on the award...

ranji said...

Hi roopa..one more award waiting:)..collect it..congrats.

Usha said...

Hi Roopa,

There is a surprise for you at my blog,please visit my blog for it.

Unknown said...

Thanks a ton friends:) . Garlic adds a light garlicky flavor to this podi, its not very strong. Tamarind adds a nice sourness, which actually goes along with the taste:) Do try it friends and let me know how it turns out for you:)

Please do not copy

All contents in this blog cannot be copied without written permission from the blog author.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
baby