Thursday, November 8, 2012

Pal Payasam made with Payasam rice

We

Hello dear readers :-)

How are you all??...Here I have been very busy with my busy body son what  can be better
ry keen to blog along with me ;-) , and by 'along with me I meant, i have to share the same keyboard with him, so pardon me if this post would have quite a few word errors or spelling errors :p

Since the festive season of Diwali is approaching, I thought about starting with a sweet dish andwhat canned better than  can be better than "Pal Payasam" ("Milk-Rice Pudding" :-) ? So without further delay, here is the recipe:

This is the time consuming method (but the more delicious way of doing it):



I used the following ingredients:

3/4 cup Payasam rice soaked in enough water for atleast 10 hours (you can find this in any Indian store, its mostly a distant cousin of Rose Matta rice)- I recommend using this rice instead of the basmati/regular white rice as it indeed brngs out a delicious rosy hue and an authentic taste that white rice might lack in. But if you can't find ,white rice would indeed be a good substitute)

2 cups whole milk

2 cups water

3/4 cup sugar

As garnish:

Whole cashews

Raisins

Cardomom pods crushed lightly

Pinch of grated Nutmeg

Ghee

How I made it:

In a deep bottom vessel (I made it in a claypot we recently bought back from our India trip), add the drained rice, milk, water, and the cardomom. Bring it to a boil, then let it simmer until the rice is cooked thoroughly. Keep an eye on the milk, and stir it to prevent boiling over or getting burnt. Let the heat do its job of making the rice absorb all the liquid. Now mash the cooked rice a bit. lower the heat and add the sugar. It will make the dried up cooked rice watery again, so dont add any extra liquid at this point. You may add a bit of milk if you prefer the pudding a bit runnier. Add a pinch of grated nutmeg.Add a tablespoon of ghee (clarified butter) to a small pan and add the raisins and on a very low fire, saute until all the raisins have plumped up. Pour this into the payasam. Serve cold or hot

Have a Happy and Safe Diwali everyone !! :-)

RV

2 comments:

Cham said...

How r u? Congrats to be a proud mom :) Is that clay pot, looks pretty!

Unknown said...

Hi Cham, Thank you for dropping by :-) , means a lot to me ,..... I have been doing good, busy with baby :-) .....but that cudnt keep me away from my blog any longer ;-) ..... Yes it's a clay pot we bought with great care all the way from India :-) ....it's the best utensil as anything tastes extra special and tasty cooked in it.... Even plain water tastes good during summer when it's blazing hot....

Please do not copy

All contents in this blog cannot be copied without written permission from the blog author.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
baby