Friday, March 23, 2007

Phova Ukkeri (Chivda)

Preparing the "tadka" for the "phova ukkeri"
Better to fry the pappad ahead of time so that the excess oil is absorbed by the papar towel.

After poha is added to the "tadka"


The final stir after everything is added



Store it in an air tight container after it is completly cooled




Delicious phova ukkeri ready!
Recently I prepared "phova ukkeri" (we konkanis in kerala call it ukkeri, instead of upkeri, which is called by rest of the konkani communities in other states) the first time in my life. And it came out so perfect I myself could not believe I was able to make it so good:) ........I love this snack, as far as I can remember, I always used to bug my mom to make this when I saw the peanuts and "phovu" (beaten rice or "aval") when we went out to the market for the house grocery. She also used to give me phova ukkeri in a small bag when I had to leave home to go to my college which was outside kerala. So I always have nostalgic feelings associated with this snack as they have always made me think of my home back in Cochin when I was in college as well as now too.....I actually wanted to prepare this for another reason too, and that was for diet purpose. This snack doesnt consume much oil, nor is it filled with fat or cholestrol. And its toooo tasty. I prepared one batch 2 days back and my husband and myself emptied the snack box within 2 days hehehe...........Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
Poha (thin or thick): 3 cups
Peanut: 1 cup
Small Green chilli: as per taste
Curry leaves: a bunch
Pappad: 8 nos cut into small pieces (as seen in the pic) before frying
Cumin seeds: 2 tablespoons
Mustard seeds: 2 tablespoons
Asafoetida (hing): 1 teaspoon
Salt
Sugar: 1/4 teaspoon
Oil: 3 tablespoons
Method:
Heat oil in a vessel. When oil is heated properly, lower the fire and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, when these pop, add green chilli (slit lengthwise into thin pieces), Curry leaves, and Peanut. Saute this on low fire until all are roasted properly and a nice aroma of the "tadka" fills the kitchen :) ......Then add the poha and stir again until poha becomes crisp (if needed add a few teaspoons of oil). Add turmeric, salt and sugar at the end and mix properly on low fire. Fry the pappad seperately and add it to the poha mixture. Add asafoetida at the end and mix properly. Authentic phova ukkeri is ready. Store it in an air tight container after the snack is completly cooled. Enjooy!

2 comments:

Kripa said...

now this reminds me of my mom.............. soooo want to make it now.. and the other fav one with poha was the potato onion poha ukeri.. that tastes fab as well

Unknown said...

Hey thanks Kripa dear, Glad u liked it:) yeah its so easy to make yet tasty and can be stored for long time...I will try your Potato Onion Poha ukkeri:)

Please do not copy

All contents in this blog cannot be copied without written permission from the blog author.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
baby